Full and incremental

User Help, discussion of features, issues, and general topics about Uranium Backup.

Moderators: Davide Costantini, Romana Romandini, Andrea Ciotti, Administrator

Full and incremental

Postby michael.burkhardt » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:53 am

Hello, I have a question about using a special Backup procedure.
What I want:
Monday (08:00) -> full backup to USB HDD directory Monday_Full
Tuesday to Friday (08:00)-> Incremental from the full backup to USB HDD directory Tuesday_Incr to Friday_Incr

Is this possible ??

If yes can yout tell me How?

Greetings from Germany
Michael

Re: Full and incremental

Postby Christian Del Moro » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:38 am

Hi,

1° backup-set (incremental backup to schedule each Monday):

- General Options of backup-set –> enable “Create the root folder in local/network destinations” Also enable “Root folder with the following name and/or date/time format) you can insert as a name folder “Monday-Full”. (this configuration will mantein an incremental backup, each backup execution Uranium will copy only new and modified files)

2° backup-set (differential daily to schedule Tuesday to Friday )

- General Option of backup-set --> flag “Create the root folder in local/network destinations”, choose "Root folder with the following name and numbering", choose the name of folder and the number of copies you need to mantein (if you set 4, you mantein the last four days).

- Direct copy --> in the section “Special copy” enable “Copy the source files only if they have been modified in the last (you can choose one day)"

- Select ITEMS and DESTINATIONS, right click on the ITEMS, enable “Ebable/Disable files deletion in the destinations (direct copy)”

Regards

Postby michael.burkhardt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 am

Now I have a similar question:

Full backup on Monday in directory "Full_Backup" (the directory name should have no datetime directoraies from uranium)
Example that I want:
FULL_BACKUP_MONDAY
-Full_Backup
- Directory_1
- Directory_2

On Thursday to Friday I wanted to have a differential backup to Monday (the directory name should have no datetime directoraies from uranium)
Example
FULL_BACKUP_MONDAY
-Full_Backup
- Directory_1
- Directory_2
-Differential_Backup
- Directory_1
- Directory_1_1
- Directory_1_2
- Directory_2
- Directory_2_1
- Directory_2_2

The problem is, in our settings, we have always created a directory with a date,
like:
FULL_BACKUP_MONDAY
- Directory_1
- 20170220-110053 (Full)
- 20170309-110017 (Differential)

this prevents us to use the hard drives for several weeks. We create always a new full_backup and the space on the hard disk then not enough. I would like to overwrite everything every week without delete first all by hand!

What can we do??????

Greetings from Germany
Michael

Postby cinzia.mancini » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi Micheal,

with the new Uranium Backup version you can create a real incremental/differential backup.
You can configure one destination where Uranium puts the full backup in monday and the incremental in the other days. Scheduling doesn't change.
In the wizard of Incremental/Differential backup you can set full copy on monday every 4 incrementals/differentials.
So you can see in your destination a structure like this:
BACKUP
20170327-080020 (FULL)
20170328-080020 (incremental)
20170329-080020 (incremental)
20170330-080020 (incremental)
.... and so on.
The destination structure is a particular structure that lets Uranium Backup to manage the restoring in order of a crash.
If you want you can contact us by our Technical Support.
Have a nice day.
Cinzia Mancini
Nanosystems S.r.l.
Assistenza e Sviluppo software

Return to Technical Support ENG