Number of Month

User Help, discussion of features, issues, and general topics about Uranium Backup.

Moderators: Davide Costantini, Romana Romandini, Andrea Ciotti, Administrator

Number of Month

Postby RuKeBo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:38 pm

This is a wish list item but it would be nice if there were a Special String for the number of the week. So the 1st week of the month would be "1", second week "2", etc. up to the 5th week. I was thinking of doing a weekly backup for each week of the month then having it overwrite the next month.

I am making an assumption on how this works. I am doing a daily backup now but have not tested it, since I just started it today. But I used "%w%-%dddd%" for a special string so it made a folder today (Friday) called "5-Friday". I am assuming next Friday it will overwrite this with a new backup on that day. I scheduled the backup for each weekday so it will make a backup "1-Monday", "2-Tuesday", "3-Wednesday", etc. I am making the assumption it will overwrite these each week and if there was a weekly special string, it would overwrite every month.

Thanks,

Russell

Re: Number of Month

Postby cinzia.mancini » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:51 pm

Good evening RuKeBo,
your destination folder configuration is ok, and every turn it begins again at 1_monday and so on...
To make the same thing about the week for month you can create a single backupset and configure the destination using the next configuration field like this:
"week_" (root folder with the following name and numbering) 5.
Schedule the backupset only one day for week. The result will be: week_1, week_2, week_3 and so on...
After fifth it begins again and overwrites the first folder.
If it isn't the right response on your request, please contact me again.
Have a nice day.
Cinzia Mancini
Nanosystems S.r.l.
Assistenza e Sviluppo software

Postby RuKeBo » Wed May 03, 2017 3:53 pm

This is a workable solution but I was trying to make sure the first week of the month was always "week_1", the second week "week_2", etc. With the solution you suggested, "week_1" could be for any week of the month and any month with less than 5 weeks will throw it off (using "5" for the number). I was hoping that if a month only had 4 weeks, it would skip "week_5" and go to "week_1" next. This could be a programming nightmare trying to figure out what days are in each week.

Also, the numbering it gives it is "week_00" for the first backup, "week_01" for the second, etc.

If I backed up on Saturday for instance, this month has four Saturdays in it. So the first week (week_1) would have been for May 1-5 with the backup occurring on on Sat. May 6. It would do this three more times on May 13, 20, and 27. When it got to the next Saturday, the date is June 3 so this is technically the next month and this would need to overwrite "week_1". The issue I see with this now is that the first and last weeks can have days from the previous month, which is fine but what if the first day of the month fell on a Saturday? This would be labeled "week_1" but really it is the backup for the last week of the previous month. There is nothing you can do about this, I am just pointing out that with my request, there could be some confusion with the scheme.

Again, your solution is workable but is not specific for the actual week of the month.

Thanks,

Russell

Postby cinzia.mancini » Mon May 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Yes I understand, now in Uranium Backup this is no possible. We are sorry.
We are not planning to extend a function like this at this moment, but I propose your suggestion to our developer team.
Thank you for your kind cooperation.
Cinzia Mancini
Nanosystems S.r.l.
Assistenza e Sviluppo software

Return to Technical Support ENG